A press release is like a pitch in that you want to craft one that is compelling to the media. But it differs in that it is longer and describes the book in more detail.
The press release answers the questions who, what, why and when. Follow these rules to craft a pro-level press release:
- Keep it short and to-the-point (for god's sake, no more than a page!)
- Tie-in newsworthy or topical events to the book
- Make it professional, with proper grammar and spelling
- Write it for the media, focusing on what they want from your book, rather than what you want to tell them
- Start with the hook - the most compelling information first, and then work down to basic information
- Give your press release a grabbing headline that is newsworthy
Your press release should not be more than a page. Otherwise, consider it an entry into a busy media professional's wastebasket.